June 19 to August 4, 2017
Up to 40 hours per week
$1,000 Stipend upon Completion of Internship
Girls Inc. of Holyoke is seeking 5 interns who are passionate about education, college accessibility and inspiring girls’ interest in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) careers and futures. Our interns will help to facilitate the nationally-recognized Eureka! program, a college and career-readiness STEM education program in partnership with the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. Our Eureka scholars are 8th and 9th grade girls, many of whom are first generation college students, curious and creative about STEM.
Interns who work with Eureka! can expect a fast-paced and transformative summer experience working alongside Girls Inc. directors and Eureka! program facilitators, as well as UMass professors, to lead an inspiring group of teens, beginning in Holyoke and concluding on UMass’s campus.
The following is an overview of potential responsibilities: June 2017: Work with the Girls Inc. Middle & High School Program team to prepare for the on-campus Eureka! program.
• Receive training in the Girls Inc. mission, curriculum, and related materials.
• Learn group facilitation skills and program expectations, including classroom management, team-building activities, and set up and clean up methods.
• Coordinate and maintain technology and materials needed for program.
• Plan and coordinate daily group time activities including icebreaker, team-building, and personal development lessons. July 2017: Co-leadership responsibility for a cohort of Eureka! teen participants on UMass Amherst’s campus in partnership with Girls Inc. staff.
• Provide guidance, mentorship, and learning support as teens participate in STEM workshops led by UMass faculty.
• Facilitate daily icebreakers, team-building sessions, and health and wellness sessions.
• Support transition times, ensuring girls’ ability to move in a timely fashion between programs while on campus, including to and from buses during pick up and drop off times.
• Work with Girls Inc. team to provide enriching summer experience on UMass campus.
• Support an environment that inspires all girls to be strong, smart, and bold at all times!
Interns will be expected to follow all Girls Inc. of Holyoke rules and regulations as covered in initial training and intake process. Please be prepared to provide your own reliable, daily transportation to Girls Inc. headquarters in Holyoke, as well as planning and staff development trainings as required.
Please send a cover letter, résumé, and names/phone numbers of three references by March 31 to:
Development Manager email@example.com
Girls Inc. of Holyoke
P.O. Box 6812
Holyoke, MA 01041