Why our partners work with us
Research has shown that in the U.S. and Canada:
- 78% of girls are unhappy with their bodies by age 17
- 3 in 10 girls will become pregnant before the age of 20
- 1 in 4 girls will not finish high school
- 1 in 5 girls will be a victim of childhood sexual abuse
The facts indicate that girls need help to face these realities, and that’s the goal of Girls Inc. of Holyoke and the dedicated partners who support us.
The outcomes our partners help us achieve
Based on internal research and outcome studies, here’s the effect our work has:
- Girls involved in our programs become engaged in school
- Girls make healthier choices related to their eating habits
- Girls avoid teen pregnancy
- Girls are more physically active
- Girls report reduced symptoms of depression
- Girls develop a sense of fairness and the ability to stand up for their beliefs
Working with education professionals
Girls Inc. of Holyoke works with area schools to help girls succeed academically and socially.
In grade schools, we support school curricula and create programs that address gaps in a girl’s education and school experience.
We work with area colleges – most notably the University of Massachusetts, Amherst College, and Smith College – to create academic mentoring programs. Working with undergraduates from these schools, girls are able to:
- Accelerate or catch up on proficiency in key subjects
- Interact with positive role models
- Imagine what it would be like to go to college
Partnering with parents, our strongest supporters
Parents are active participants at Girls Inc. of Holyoke. They are part of our work place and our programs. Our goal is to be a resource for parents and we urge them to contact us to discuss how their daughters can benefit from getting involved.
Organizations & Corporations
Girls Inc. of Holyoke has attracted the generous support of a number of different organizations, which goes directly to work in our programs.
Special thanks to our 2015 Spirit of Girls Sponsors and Annual Support Partners.